Monday, October 25, 2010

Pressed Tofu and Vegan Egg Salad

I crave certain foods that you wouldn’t think would translate into vegan. But, by golly they do! I used to love egg salad sandwiches and I knew it would be hard to give them up. It was more of a sentimental thing, actually. I think that’s why food is so important to most of us; and why it is so inconceivable for some to make the vegetarian/vegan leap. Cookouts and homemade ice cream are more than just a good meal; it is the heart of many summer memories. I too have felt tugs at my heartstrings when thinking I’d never eat a specific type of food again. People often tell me, “I could never do that” when thinking about going vegan. They also say they could never slaughter an animal for consumption. Smart, successful, driven people tell me “I can’t do that”. What I believe they’re really saying is, “I don’t want to because I’m afraid of what I’ll miss.”

I’m going to tell you (in my best Waterboy impression), “You can do it!”

You can have everything you had before AND you can be healthy and happy! Not only will you gain health, your choices will benefit hundreds of animals and our planet. Did you know that on average, a vegetarian saves over 100 animal lives each year? In turn, this saves land, grain, water and reduces dangerous methane gasses. The benefits far outweigh what you “think” you’re going to lose. Below is proof: An Eggless Egg Salad Sandwich! Put on your big girl panties and get ready to make an awesome change!

First you’re going to want to press your tofu. Since tofu was a mystery to me, literally for years, I’m going to help out with the basics. You’re almost always going to want to drain your tofu at least a little. Depending on what you’re making, you may want to press it for 5 minutes up to overnight. The more you press, the more water you take out, the chewier it will be. Also, you can replace the liquid you press out with any kind of marinade you want! I’ve had some seriously tasty tofu and I get really mad when people talk bad about it! It is delicious and healthy and very filling.  And it won't attack your heart! 

Step 1: Cut the tofu into 3 lengthwise slabs, like so…
Step 2: Wrap the 3 slabs in a clean tea towel (or paper towels)…


Step 3: Put some kind of even weight on the tofu to encourage draining (I used a small cutting board and a jar of pizza sauce, just use whatever is handy to you).
NOTE: If you’re using silken tofu for this recipe, it will be best to drain your tofu using the same method (wrapped in a towel), but place in a colander over a bowl. Silken tofu has more water and a different texture than the NaSoya brand pictured. Also, freezing your tofu will give it more of a “chew”. Here are some other helpful Tofu Tips.

I let this tofu drain on the counter for about 1 hour (any longer than an hour and you should put in the fridge.

After letting it drain, gather all your ingredients:
¼ cup dill pickle relish (or onion or celery, whatever floats your boat)
Just crumble the tofu with your fingers (about the size you’d cut your eggs if making egg salad).

¼ cup vegan mayo
1 Tbs. Dijon/wheat mustard
1 ½ Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. white pepper
¼ tsp. turmeric
1 heaping tsp. nutritional yeast
Optional Herbs: dill, chives, basil, parsley, tarragon
I used about 1 Tbs. parsley and 1 Tbs. basil because they’re still growing in my window box!


Mix all the wet ingredients, spices and nutritional yeast together, being careful to not mush the tofu, just stir. Then fold in your dill relish (or onions/celery) and herbs and you’re done! (Taste and add more of whatever you think you need more of).  This is delicious as a sandwich, on toast points, pita, and little endive boats make very lovely apetizers!

The Lindsay List: High Holiday Recipes: Vegan "Egg" Salad Sandwiches from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet on Foodista

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good; I'll have to try it this week! I love egg salad.
    You're so right when you say that people who claim that they "could never do that" are really saying, "I'm afraid of what I will miss". That's EXACTLY what I'm afraid of!

    ReplyDelete